Protecting Oregon's Environment
Oregon State Seal
Oregon Department of Environmental Quality

Water Quality

 Water Quality Permit Program

green envelope icon Sign up for email updates on Stormwater

Stormwater Home

Forms and Fees

401 Certification
Clean Water State Revolving Fund
Construction Activities
Construction Stormwater General Permit
Industrial Activities
Municipal Stormwater
Total Maximum Daily Load

Underground Injection Wells

 WQ Info Guides:
by alphabet
by category

NPDES Stormwater Discharge Permits -
Construction Activities

The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) 1200-C, 1200-CN and 1200-CA general permits apply to construction activities including clearing, grading, excavation, materials or equipment staging and stockpiling that will disturb one or more acres of land. They also apply to construction activities that will disturb less than one acre that are part of a common plan of development or sale, if the larger common plan of development or sale will ultimately disturb one acre or more. In addition, DEQ may require registration for any other construction activity based on the potential for contribution to an excursion of a water quality standard or potential for significant contribution of pollutants to waters of the state.

General Information: 1200-C Construction Stormwater General Permit

  • 1200-C Renewal Application
    Renewal Application for construction projects extending beyond November 30, 2015 (expiration date for the current 1200-C permit).

Construction Stormwater General Permit
Expiring November 30, 2015

Construction Stormwater General Permit NEW
Permit to be issued December 15, 2015

General Information: 1200-CN Construction Stormwater General Permit

  • In some local jurisdictions with eligible stormwater programs, construction activities that disturb less than five acres will be automatically covered under the 1200-CN permit. In a few jurisdictions, construction activities that disturb less than one acre are automatically covered. Information needed to determine if your project qualifies for the 1200-CN is available below.

    Owners and operators of automatically covered construction activities must comply with performance requirements and other terms of the 1200-CN permit, but do not submit a DEQ application or pay fees to DEQ. Owners and operators must comply with all applicable local code, ordinance and permit requirements. The local jurisdiction will provide a copy of the 1200-CN permit when construction is approved. If you do not obtain 1200-CN coverage through the local jurisdiction, you must register for the 1200-C. The 1200-CN applies only to the jurisdictions listed below. Please read the permit to determine if your project meets all the eligibility requirements.
1200-CN Jurisdictions for Construction Activities
That will disturb less than 5 acres: That will disturb less than 1 acre:
  • Albany
  • Corvallis
  • Eugene
  • Milwaukie
  • Springfield
  • West Linn
  • Wilsonville
  • Clackamas County Water Environment Services
  • Rogue Valley Sewer Services
  • Clean Water Services
  • Lane County within the MS4 Phase II Permit area
  • Multnomah County (unincorporated portions of the county)
  • Gresham
  • Troutdale
  • Wood Village

General Information: 1200-CA (Government Agencies) Construction Stormwater General Permit

Technical Assistance

[print version]

For stormwater-related questions, contact the appropriate DEQ regional office.

Oregon Department of Environmental Quality
Headquarters: 811 SW Sixth Ave., Portland, OR 97204-1390
Phone: 503-229-5696 or toll free in Oregon 1-800-452-4011
Oregon Telecommunications Relay Service: 1-800-735-2900  FAX: 503-229-6124

The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality is a regulatory agency authorized to protect Oregon's environment by
the State of Oregon and the Environmental Protection Agency.

DEQ Web site privacy notice