Waste Reduction Strategies
- Design page layouts to prevent waste. Put more words on a page
by using smaller fonts and margins.
- Consider beginning chapter of books on the page immediately
following the previous chapter.
- Consider lighter cover stocks or eliminating the cover
completely, if possible.
- Use both sides of the page whenever possible.
- Order only what you need. Volume discounts make it economical to
order more, but do you really need 1000 or 5000? Anticipate
corrections and changes (e.g., will your business be moving or
changing its phone number?)
- Use vegetable-based ink. This helps prevent air and water
pollution and also provides brighter colors and rubs off less on the
- Avoid fluorescent (Astrobright) and goldenrod paper that is
difficult to recycle.
- Alternative fibers such as kenaf, cereal straw, and sugar beet
pulp are great alternatives to using trees and can be used to make
beautiful paper. Promote these alternative fiber papers to clients
as well as recycled content paper.
- For basic office waste prevention techniques see: General Tips
- Choose paper that contains recycled content and is easily
recyclable. White paper is generally highly valued for recycling
collection. Avoid fluorescent and goldenrod paper which is difficult
to recycle and consider using alternative fiber paper.
- Avoid plastic covers and bindings.
For more information visit these web sites:
- Composting Council of Canada
- Composting News
- Internet Recycling and Composting Resource Page
- Recyclers World central composting category
- US EPA composting