Waste Reduction Strategies
- Offer or sell reusable garment bags.
- Encourage customers to return hangers with a "caddy" that they
can return when it is full. A description of successful programs can
be found at the National Waste Prevention Coalition web site.
- Reuse hangers returned from customers.
- Purchase plastic garment bags on a large roll rather than boxed.
- Use returned plastic bags for garbage liners.
- Donate unclaimed clothes to charity.
- Reuse clothing tags.
- Use a wet cleaning process to eliminate toxic solvents such as
perchloroethylene. You will reduce the amount of hazardous waste
generated and save money on disposal costs.
- See General Tips for basic office waste
- Recycle damaged hangers that cannot be reused.
- Recycle plastic garment bags.
- Buy garment bags made from 100 percent post-consumer waste.
- Set up a recycling program for your employees and encourage them
For more information visit these web sites:
- Composting Council of Canada
- Composting News
- Internet Recycling and Composting Resource Page
- Recyclers World central composting category
- US EPA composting